Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Terrorist threat to Sacha Baron Cohen over Brüno ridicule

I loved Borat. I have not yet seen Sacha Baron Cohen's follow-up mockumentary Brüno this summer. Although I have every intention of seeing on the big screen very soon (probably this weekend), after which I'll post my thoughts on it.

There has been decidedly less buzz about Brüno this year than Borat, I'm sure most will agree. Gone are the multiple threats to sue Cohen we saw following Borat's release. Instead we have threats against his life. Scary indeed. This is inspiration for me to get to the theatre as soon as possible to see it.

I suspect that Brüno's subject matter - chronicling an over-the-top gay Austrian fashionista, with multiple scenes of male frontal nudity - has turned off many of Cohen's heterosexual fans. They'll rush to the theatre to see Pamela Anderson forced into a sack, but they won't rush to see Cohen have fake sex with a male midget. Hmmmm....

Others have said it's simply a case of Brüno being less entertaining than Borat, or perhaps the shock value is gone and the stunt tactics Cohen uses in Brüno are becoming a little old hat.

Regardless of the reasons for Brüno's less than stellar box office, I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have to go see it. It has some very very funny parts. It's like a very campy Candid Camera. It gest to be more and more about his shear audacity to pull off all these pranks.

It's funny to see extremely exaggeratted sterotypes of a gay man i.e. what the heterosexuals think we are, and put in thier faces explicitly, and them watch the reactions.

I'd be interested in hearing what you thought. One friend thought it was funny, but didn't live up to Brüno, while others thought it was hysterical.

Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I've seen it and it is pretty funny although a little slow to start off. I am amazed at just how far Sacha Baron Cohen will go. I also heard he never goes out of character even if stopped by the cops, so talk about gutsy. Anyways on Youtube there is a funny Bruno scene from the Ali G TV show where he interviews a gay converter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazrAzBP_0I